Last Updated on June 5, 2021 by admin
Have you thought about buying a kayak or maybe just renting one out for the day?
Then there are a few things you should know about it.
While kayaking has a lot of finer techniques that you will probably want to know if you’re truly dedicating yourself to it, we thought we’d give you a rundown of the 10 best kayaks for beginners and the six essential things you need to know about a kayak to help you get started.
Let’s start with the basics: What exactly is kayaking? It’s when you use a narrow watercraft with a double-sided paddle to help navigate and propel the boat forward and backward. Unlike a canoe, the boat is typically covered except for ports for the riders. Kayaking comprises natural exploration, racing, surfing, and recreation. Often the boat is attuned to the specific uses of the rider and, because of this, they feature wildly differing designs. For example, kayaks for freshwater and those for saltwater are typically different from each other in some component parts.
Design & Materials/Equipment
There is a huge variety of boat models and designs available on the market. Many of these differ wildly from the “traditional” style. These include models with paddles and even those that can collapse for easy storage. In terms of materials, kayaks also come in as many as can possibly be conceived such as wood, fiberglass, polyethylene, polyester, rubberized fabric, Kevlar, neoprene, nitrylon, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyurethane, aluminum, carbon fiber, and a wood/canvas hybrid. Often, the price of the craft is determined in part by the materials used.
Types of Kayaks
There are almost as many different types of these boats as there are materials to make them. Most of these uses are dictated by what you plan on doing. For example, a recreational model is significantly different from a whitewater river model. Others include touring, fishing, racing, and surfing models.
Activities Involving Kayaks
As we discussed above, there are models for every purpose. If you plan on using it occasionally, a recreational model should be perfect. If you want to do something more complicated, like surfing, then that’s possible as well. Racing and touring tend to be quite specialized as is whitewater boating. We would recommend you start out with something more basic if you’re a true beginner.
Health Benefits of Kayaking
As with any recreational activity, kayaking has a range of health benefits. Not only is it considered fun, but also it works your upper body muscle, or legs if you have a paddle model. It also gets you out into the great outdoors and gives you many mental wellness benefits.
How to Choose a Kayak
Like we explained, if you’ve never kayaked before, anything other than a recreation model doesn’t really make sense. While you could start out with a surfing variant, it might prove difficult for you if you don’t understand the mechanics of the sport. Another consideration is the type of environment you will explore. That will also help you choose what material is best for your needs.
10 Best Kayaks for Beginners
Intex Explorer K2 Kayak Review
Intex explorer k2 kayak is a two-person kayak and made for smaller bodies of water. It is comfortable, very rigid, designed with heavy-duty puncture-resistant vinyl, certified by NMMA, and includes 1 output pump, 2 paddles, 1 carry bag, and a 400 lbs max carrying capacity.
- Comfortable for anyone: Kayak includes an adjustable inflatable seat with backrest; Cockpit designed for comfort and space
- Dimensions: Inflated size 10 feet 3 x 3 feet x 1 feet 8 inch; Maximum weight capacity: 400 pounds
- Directional stability: Removable SKEG for directional stability
- Increased visibility: In case of emergency, bright yellow color helps visibility
- Made for smaller bodies of water: Explorer k2 is made for smaller bodies of water including lakes and mild rivers
Intex Challenger K1 Kayak Review
Intex Challenger K1 Kayak is super-quick, agile, inflatable, and light in movement. It weighs 27.2 lbs, includes grab lines at both ends, a large cargo area, repair patch, designed with heavy-duty puncture-resistant materials, and free shipping.
- Nimble, durable kayak is made of durable welded material with eye catching graphics for added safety on the lake or slow moving river
- Cockpit is designed for comfort and maximized space, and inflatable I beam floors add stability. Removable skeg provides exceptional directional movement
- Cargo net to store extra gear, and grab line on both ends of kayak; Inflatable seat with backrest
- Comes with 84 inch aluminum oar, repair patch and Hi output manual hand pump; Rugged vinyl construction
- Measures 30 by 15 by 108 inches (W x H x D), with 27.2 pound weight and 220 pound maximum capacity
Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak Review
Lifetime tamarack angler 100 fishing kayak arrives with a 5-year limited warranty. It is super-durable, very stable with deep haul tracking channels, designed with UV-proof high-density material, mounted fishing rod holders, and a 275 lbs weight carrying capacity.
- Constructed of UV-Protected High-Density Polyethylene. Stable Flat Bottom. Deep Hull Tracking Channels. Stability Chine Rails
- Multiple Footrest Positions for Different Size Riders. Adjustable Padded Seat Back and Seat Pad for Comfort. Front and Rear Shock Cord Straps
- Two Flush Mounted Fishing Rod Holders. One Top Mount Fishing Rod Holder
- Two 6" Storage Compartments in Rear and Center. One Paddle Keeper with Shock Cords. Front and Rear T-Handles for Easy Transport
- Durable High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Construction. 5-Year Limited Warranty
Driftsun Rover 220 Review
Driftsun Rover 220 kayak exceeds normal expectations. It is lightweight, super durable, stable, adventure-ready, fully inflates in 10 minutes, and includes 2 adjustable padded seats with a backrest, 2 paddles, hand pump, rear tracking fin, travel bag, and a 600 lbs max user weight.
- Durable & Lightweight - Fully inflates to a full sized kayak in less than 10 minutes and weighs a manageable 28 Lbs. 1000D Reinforced Layered PVC side tubes, Heavy-duty PVC Tarpaulin bottom provides durable protection from punctures
- Stable & Maneuverable - Rigid High Pressure Drop Stitch Floor, Removable Flat Water Tracking Fin, and ample rocker profile deliver unmatched stability and control in rough and flat water
- Adventure Ready - Whitewater Rating: Suitable up to class III and IV rapids, 8 Self Bailing Ports, Plentiful Tie Down Points for Gear and Front Action Camera Mount
- Package Includes - (2) Adjustable EVA Padded Seats with High Back Support, (2) Adjustable Aluminum Kayak Paddles, Deluxe Double Action Hand Pump, Rear Tracking Fin, and Travel Bag
- Kayak Specifications - Exterior: 12.5’(L) x 38”(W) x 13”(H) / Weight: 28 Lbs. / Capacity: 600 Lbs. 2 Adults + Child, Gear, or a Furry Friend / Inflation Time: 9 Mins. / Inflation Pressure: 3 PSI Side Tubes & 6 PSI Floor
Intex Excursion 5 Inflatable Boat Review
Intex Excursion 5 is U.S. Coast Guard and NMMA certified. It is a five-man inflatable boat with a 1300 lbs max weight capacity, 2 inflatable seats with backrest, built-in fishing rod holders, gear pouch, fittings for the motor mount, designed with heavy-duty puncture-resistant materials, and free shipping.
- INFLATABLE BOAT: The Intex Excursion 5 inflatable boat is suitable for up to 5 adults and has a 1300 pound capacity making it great for boating or fishing with friends. NMMA and U.S. Coast Guard certified; Water craft for lakes and mild rivers
- FEATURES: 2 inflatable seats with backrests are included for comfort and seating stability provides superior back support for boating and fishing. Fishing and relaxing have never been easier with the 4 built-in fishing rod holders and gear pouch
- MOUNTING: Fittings for a motor mount are included for the flexibility of adding a trolling motor (motor and motor mount sold separately) with 2 grab handles on each bow and an all-around grab line are provided for your convenience, as well as welded on oar locks and oar holders
- BOAT DESIGN: Designed with heavy-duty, puncture resistant PVC for comfort and durability, and an inflatable I-beam floor for rigidity. With 3 air chambers including an inner auxiliary chamber inside the main hull for extra buoyancy and safety
- INCLUDES: The easy to store and carry package includes the Excursion 5 boat, 2, 54-inch aluminum oars and an Intex high-output pump for easy inflation and deflation, repair patch kit and carry bag. Boat weighs 57 pounds and dimensions are (LxWxH): 144 x 66 x 17 inches
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak Review
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak includes 1 pump, 2 paddles, 1 pressure gauge, 2 fishing rods holder, and is NMMA certified. It is super tough, durable, lightweight, and features a 400 lbs weight capacity, removable skews for deep and shallow water, footrests, and a mounting bracket for additional accessories.
- Super tough laminate PVC with polyester core: Light weight and highly resistant to damage from abrasion, impact and sunlight
- High pressure inflation provides extra rigidity and stability, with high pressure spring loaded valves for easy inflation and fast deflation
- Includes 2 removable skews for deep and shallow water, 2 floor mounted footrests, 2 integrated recessed fishing rod holders, 2 adjustable bucket seats
- Removable and adjustable mounting bracket for additional accessories, such as GPS systems, fish finders, swivel fishing rod holders etc. Includes a carry bag and repair patch
- Storage space in bow and Stern with stainless steel d rings for tying down Dry bags and gear; Kayak total weight capacity: 400 pounds
Advanced Elements Kayak Review
Advanced Elements kayak arrives pre-assembled. It is a 3-layer inflatable kayak with high-end components, folds easily, 300 lbs max user weight, and built with materials of extreme puncture resistance.
- Built-in aluminum ribs define the bow and stern and improve tracking
- 3 layers of material for extreme puncture resistance
- Preassembled at the factory. Simply unfold, inflate and attach the seat
- High support, adjustable padded seat provides comfort for hours of paddling
- Looks and paddles similar to a rigid hard-shell kayak with the portability of an inflatable
Sea Eagle Inflatable Kayak Review
Sea Eagle 3-person inflatable kayak is super impressive, durable, rigid, dual-purpose, and very easy to set up. It tough enough for class 3 whitewater activities, and includes 2 inflatable seats, 2 paddles, 1 carrying bag, and a pump.
- 3-PERSON INFLATABLE KAYAK: Tackle your adventures out on the rough waters with the heavy-duty 3-person inflatable kayak
- LIGHTWEIGHT 8 MINUTE SETUP: Lightweight 8-minute setup, and easy to transport which helps creates easy inflation and deflation; Dimensions (L x W): 150 x 34 inches
- 1-WAY VALVES: 1-way valves which thick material and great material formulation for greater strength, reliability, and durability on the water
- BEGINNER AND EXPERT PADDLERS: Smooth paddling boat and easy to handle for beginners and experienced paddlers alike
- CLASS 3 WHITEWATER DURABILITY: Tough enough for class 3 whitewater, but stable, dry, and comfortable on flat-water as well
Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak Review
Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak includes free delivery and a 5-year limited warranty. It is super-durable, lightweight, designed with a sloping edge for easy re-enter, made of high-density materials, and is suitable for kids of ages 5 and above.
- Specifically designed for kids ages 5 and up; 130 LB weight capacity
- Lightweight 18 Lb. design with molded finger handles on each side for easy transport
- Sloped at the end with a swim-up step allowing rider to easily re-enter the kayak from the water
- Contstucted of High Density Polyethylene for superior strength and durabilty
- Multiple footrest positions for different size riders; backed by a 5-year limited manufacturer warranty
Eprosmin Inflatable Kayak Review
Eprosmin inflatable kayak is a 9ft, 4 person raft with 2 paddles, an air pump, 2 seats, and a double layer independent airbag design. It has a 705 lbs weight capacity and is designed for adults and kids.
- 💙【US STOCK/TIMELY AND HELPFUL SERVICE】107IN x 60IN. For 1-4 people. It can bear up to 3 adults and 1 child,about 705LB.
- 🌊【NEWLY UPGRADED REINFORCED OARS】The middle reinforced design is not easy to break during the boating process.
- 🌈【4 PARTS ARE INDEPENDENTLY INFLATED 】Outer ring + inner ring + bottom double layer independent air bag design, improve product safety factor.
- 🚣♀【STRONGER SUPER-TOUCH BOAT MATERIAL】 The hull is made of PVC polymer material,which is thick and wear-resistant,which greatly improves the pressure resistance of the air chamber.
- 🚣♂【ENJOY INFLATABLE KAYAK/BOATING/CANOE】This Inflatable Boat is suitable for boating or fishing,allowing you to experience the joy of boating and show your boating skills,which is particularly interesting.