Last Updated on July 8, 2021 by admin
A Treadmill is a cardio trainer with a continuous belt for running or walking. It is straightforward and a very efficient aerobic exercise machine for everyone, starting from the beginner trainer to the top fitness professionals.
Therefore, if upgrading your home gym is your main priority, then this article will be a good place to start from.
The below Q&A briefly highlights the most treadmill frequently asked questions for 2021. We have briefly touched on the common treadmill features to look out for, how to choose a treadmill and the 9 best treadmills for home use.
Q: What does a magnetic treadmill mean?
A magnetic treadmill works without a motor. That means no electrical power is needed to generate the needed resistance. The trainer’s speed of movement increases the magnetic force generated which in turn creates the resistance. In general, magnetic treadmills are easier to maintain.
Q: Do treadmills use lots of electricity?
The amount of electricity used by treadmills can vary depending on the model and features. However, on average, a treadmill uses between 300-900 watts. You may connect a power meter to your treadmill if you want to know the exact amount of electricity it consumes.
Q: Is an electric treadmill better than a manual one?
Electric treadmills or motorized treadmills are powered by an electric motor. Since they don’t put a lot of strain on the body, they are easier and safer when compared to a manual treadmill.
Q: Can I plug my treadmill into a regular outlet?
Most home treadmills can operate with a 120V power outlet. Manufacturers often recommend a compatible surge suppressor. However, if you don’t have an outlet compatible with the power requirement, you may seek the assistance of a professional.
Q: Can a treadmill be plugged into a power strip?
Since treadmills draw a considerable amount of power, they become vulnerable to power surges. So, it is recommended to use a grounded outlet or a surge protector.
Q: Should you unplug your treadmill when not in use?
It is best to unplug your treadmill when it is not in use. This will prevent accidental crashing from voltage fluctuation.
Q: Is turning off a power strip the same as unplugging it?
Unplugging is removing the power cord connected to the main outlet. However, “turning off” is done using a dedicated power button on the treadmill.
Q: Does the treadmill need a dedicated circuit?
Pretty much all the manufacturers say that it is necessary to use a dedicated circuit with a 20-amp capacity for the treadmill. This will minimize potential electrical problems. Well, a dedicated circuit is a circuit that is solely used for a specific device (in this case, for the treadmill).
Q: Can you lose weight on a treadmill?
The treadmill is a superb cardiovascular exercise machine that helps in weight loss by burning calories.
Q: Are treadmills bad for your knees?
With a good pair of running shoes, perfect posture, and using the machine correctly, the chances for knee injuries are limited.
Q: Are treadmills safe for seniors?
Seniors can walk safely on a treadmill for about 30 minutes a day and enjoy the various health benefits.
Q: What is the best way to workout on a treadmill?
Here’s how to work out on a treadmill if you are a beginner.
- First, set your treadmill to zero inclines (it should be flat).
- As a warm-up exercise, you should walk for 5 minutes at a speed of 2 mph.
- Then, run for 30 seconds at a speed of 9 mph.
- Walk for 60 seconds at a speed of 4 mph.
- Repeat the above 5-10 times.
- Once you are done, you should cool down by walking at a speed of 2 mph for 5 minutes.
Q: Is it better to train on a treadmill or outside?
When you run outdoor, you will encounter different terrains, wind resistance, and weather conditions. So, it is likely that you will burn more calories. However, when you run on a treadmill, you can continue your workout regimes regardless of the weather condition or the time of the day. You can also change the inclination of the treadmill for more intensity. So, both methods have their advantages.
Q: Why will my treadmill not turn on?
There are many reasons listed as follows.
- The power cord is broken
- Problem with power supply
- The circuit breaker switch has tripped
- The failed circuit breaker switch
- Faulty power switch
- Wiring failure
- Faulty motor
Q: What is a treadmill safety key?
A treadmill safety key is a safety feature. It is attached to the front panel and then connected to the user’s body a cable/string. If you pull out the safety key, the treadmill will stop running immediately.
Q: Can I use my treadmill without the safety key?
It is possible to use your treadmill without the safety key. You need to install a jumper to bypass the safety switch. However, this is not recommended.
Q: What treadmills are compatible with Zwift?
Pretty much all the modern treadmill is compatible with Zwift as long as it has a Bluetooth connection.
Q: Which is better ProForm or NordicTrack treadmill?
NordicTrack treadmill is expensive compared to ProForm. But they offer a lifetime warranty for the motor and an additional warranty for the electronics. Both of these treadmills have personalization options to match your preferences.
Q: What speed should I walk on a treadmill?
If you want to walk on your treadmill, maintain a speed between 2 – 4 mph. If you walk between a speed of 4 – 5 mph, that will be fast walking. Anything faster than the 5-mph mark will be considered running or jogging.
Q: What is the best time of day to walk on a treadmill?
3.00 pm to 7.00 pm. Your lungs function at their best from 4.00 pm to 5.00 pm.
Q: Is it bad to run every day on a treadmill?
As long as you run on the treadmill for 30 minutes or less per day, that’s safe.
Q: Can I do HIIT on a treadmill every day?
Doing HIIT every day will put you at risk of an injury. Also, you are not giving your body the time it needs to recover. So, it is always better to limit your HIIT training to 2-3 days per week.
Q: How to choose the right treadmill?
Factors to consider before selecting a treadmill.
- Usage and storage space. Try to avoid a congested space during workout exercises.
- Type of intended workout. This can help in deciding the amount of motor power needed for the treadmill.
- Budget. Budget constraints can help in narrowing down your search criteria.
- Features. Decide on the features you want.
- Consumer reviews. Read previous buyer’s review (See sample reviews on our listed products. Click on the yellow stars, to reveal what people say about the reviewed products)
Q: Which treadmill is best for home use?
Please, see the below reviews for the 9 best treadmills for home use.
9 Best Treadmills for Home Use
XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill
The XTERRA Fitness TR150 folding treadmill is a top performer with the flexibility you desire. It is the ideal package for your home gym and boasts numerous features that range from a 5-inch LCD console, direct speed access keys, cushioned deck, hand pulse grips, adjustable incline, 2.5 HP motor, and a fold-up design.
- Large 16" X 50" Walking/running surface
- Large 5 inch LCD display is easy to read and keeps you updated on speed, incline, time, distance, calories, and pulse
- Speed range 0. 5 -10 MPH allows for users of all fitness levels.Pull the knob to release the deck to fold or unfold
- 12 preset programs offer unmatched variety for your workouts
- 3 Manual incline settings allow for maximum variety. Side rails: plastic. Belt: 1 ply, 1. 4mm
NordicTrack T Series Treadmill
NordicTrack T Series Treadmill includes a 10-inch interactive touchscreen for your on-demand studio workout that features hundreds of sessions with world-class trainers, who can control your speed and incline. It can also track your workout in real-time and boosts endless options that range from incline training, run and lift, full-body workout, Bootcamp, yoga, interval training, cross-training, and global running.
- 30-Day iFIT Family Membership Included; Stream live & on-demand workouts on your equipment with Global Workouts & Studio Classes; Add up to 5 users; Elite trainers adjust your equipment ($39 value)
- Immersive 10-inch interactive HD touchscreen streams on-demand iFIT workouts directly to your equipment and provides easy stats tracking; SMART-Response motor for effective running and cardio training
- 10 % OneTouch incline control; 10 MPH SMART OneTouch speed control; Your iFIT Trainer auto-adjusts your smart treadmill’s speed and incline for a fully optimized workout that meets your goals
- Innovative SpaceSaver design with EasyLift Assist means your treadmill can fold up after your run for compact, simple storage; 20” x 50” tread deck; Bluetooth headphone connectivity for in-ear audio
ANCHEER 2 in 1 Folding Under-Desk Treadmill
ANCHEER 2 in 1 Folding walking and running treadmill is very portable, super-quiet, and very compact. It needs no installation, app, and remote-controlled, and is the ideal package for home, office, and gym workout. This under-desk treadmill features an LCD monitor, transport wheels, 2.25 HP motor, durable running belt, and is very easy to maintain
- Innovative 2-in-1 Treadmill: This Ancheer treadmill has 2 distinct functions. You can place the treadmill under your desk/table, and enjoy a walk at a speed of 1 to 4mph. When the handrail is raised, the treadmill can serve as a regular treadmill for running at a speed of 1 to 7.5mph. You can place your tablet/phone on the phone holder to watch videos and let long workouts fly by!
- Installation-Free, LCD Screen & App Integration: No assembly required. You can track the time, distance, speed, heart rate and calories burned on the LCD screen. Fitness app integration allows you to participate in interesting cross-training workouts designed to get you moving. Pull the emergency-stop band to stop the running machine instantly.
- Dual-Control & Super Quiet: You can operate this electric treadmill using physical buttons, or you can also control your workout using the watch remote control. There are 12 preset programs to choose from, and the 2.25hp motor ensures the under desk treadmill operates quietly, meaning you won't disturb others.
- Comfortable Running: Equipped with an advanced shock-absorbing system, deck cushioning mechanism and 5-layer compressed tread belt, our motorized exercise treadmill effectively absorbs impacts and protects your knees. The wide 40" x 16" running surface means you can run at full speed without having to watch your feet or worry about slipping off the edge.
- Portable & Sturdy: The foldable compact design enables this desk treadmill to be placed under a bed/sofa/desk or stored upright, saving space when not in use. Wheels allow you to move it around effortlessly. This portable treadmill for home has a solid-steel frame with a weight capacity of 265 lbs. All our 2-in-1 folding treadmill are quality-assured and we offer full product protection for a whole year.
UREVO Foldable Treadmill
UREVO Foldable Treadmill is the perfect home workout companion which boasts 12 preset programs, a 16.5-inch running belt, 2.5 HP motor, 110 V output power, 260 lbs max user weight, phone holder, LCD screen, and speeds up to 7.5 mph. It is very effective in weight loss and body toning, and the package will arrive with a safety key and a user manual.
- 【Space Saving Design:】 Easy folding mechanism and soft drop system helps you unfold your treadmill safely and hands free.Folding size is 55.2x27.8x 5.1 inch (L x W x H)
- 【Powerful& Comfortable :】2.5 peak HP Moter provides speeds of 0.5 - 7.5 MPH which guarantee the stable operation of the machine with 260lbs weight capacity.The 16.5 inches wider anti-slip belt providing A Safe Cushion For Your Knees
- 【Fitness Tracking Display:】 12 pre-set training programs designed to simulate natural terrain. with LCD displays time, distance, speed, calories burned
- 【16.5 Inch Wider Multi-layer Tread Belt 】Urevo treadmill use the large Multi-layer Tread Belt , the size of tread belt is 16.5”x 45.7’’, which provides extra space for comfortable running, making running safer and more comfortable, more importantly, a wide walking belt, better footsteps, less prone to touching your feet.
- 【Included Components:】 Foldable treadmill Treadmill, User Manual, Hardware,6PCS Nonslip Mat. Note : It is not recommended to use on thick carpets
Goplus 2 in 1 Folding Treadmill
Goplus 2 in 1 Folding Treadmill for walking, jogging, and running. It boasts enormous power and is the ideal companion for home and office workouts. It includes sturdy frame steel, a multi-layered design, a remote controller, LED screen, Bluetooth speaker, and a varying speed of 1 to 8 mph.
- INNOVATIVE 2-IN-1 FOLDING TREADMILL-- Compared to ordinary treadmills, our 2-in-1 Superfit treadmill has 2 modes to meet your different sports needs. When the riser is folded, it can be used as a jogging machine at a speed of 1-4km/h, so you can do other things while walking. When the handrail is raised, the running speed is 1-12km/h and you can run to reach your fitness goal.
- POWERFUL 2.25HP -- With a powerful and ultra-quiet 2.25HP motor, this Superfit treadmill allows you to walk or run without disturbing others, making it ideal for home and office use. With a sturdy and durable steel frame and multi-layer shield design, it's shock-absorbing and noise-reducing, making your running quieter, safer and more comfortable.
- NON-SLIP RUNNING BELT & MULTIFUNCTIONAL LED DISPLAY --The 5-layer non-slip texture running belt features a spacious running area(40" x16"), providing an effective and safe cushion for your knees and muscles for a superior running experience. The LED display clearly shows time, speed, distance and calories, monitoring your progress in real time and keeping your movement data at a glance.
- WITH BLUETOOTH SPEAKER, PHONE HOLDER, REMOTE CONTROL & APP CONTROL -- Connect the Superfit treadmill to your phone through Bluetooth, so you can play music while you are exercising. You can also use the phone holder to watch videos or chat with friends. The remote control is convenient to adjust the speed of movement and stop instantly. Smart APP control is perfect to record exercise data and running with other users.
- EASY TO MOVE AND STORE -- The compact, foldable design and built-in transport wheels make it easy to move and store this under desk treadmill to save space. And it's out of the box and doesn't need to be installed.（HANDLES NEED TO BE REMOVED BEFORE FOLDING）
OMA Folding Treadmill for Running, Walking & Jogging
OMA Folding Treadmill’s updated version is super reliable, and a perfect fit for your home workout. It features a 2.25 HP motor, 36 preset programs, pulse tracking, and will let you enjoy jogging and running indoors. The treadmill includes 3 manual incline positions, fast control for start, stop, speed of 0 to 8 mph, and tracks distance, calories, speed, and time.
- 【Heavy-Duty Steel Support Up To 300lbs】OMA treadmill is made of COMMERCIAL THICKNESS STEEL with grit blasting and passes thousands of running tests. We must make sure our treadmill is safe and durable for your daily home exercise.
- 【36 Preset Programs For Diverse Running】No need a fitness coach. OMA treadmills possess 36 PRESET PROGRAMS & 3 CUSTOM PROGRAMS. You can make plans for yourself and running at home. Track your Speed, Distance, Pulse, Time and Calories on the screens.
- 【Fast Control Handle For Easy Adjustment】You can press the BUTTON on the handle to start or stop at any moment and quickly adjust the speed up to 8.1 MPH (13 KM/H). Good for multiple running styles combining running & jogging & walking.
- 【6-layer Wider Running Belt Good For Knees】6-LAYER ELASTIC CUSHIONING BELT with a 16.5" wider running area is antislip and shock-absorbing, which is good to protect your knees. Designed with 3 MANUAL INCLINE POSITIONS.
- 【Upgraded 15-minute Easy Installation】86% are Pre-Installed and One person can install it in 15 minutes. Can be easily FOLDED & MOVED to the corner of your room and is perfect for small space. No worry, we provide lifetime customer service and support!
Sunny Health & Fitness Folding Treadmill
Sunny Health & Fitness Folding Treadmill supports corded electricity, 3 manual incline levels, and weighs 103 lbs. It has 9 built-in workout programs, a phone/tablet holder, and handrail controls for comfort and accessibility. The running surface is 49-inch (l) by 15.5-inch (w). Included is a digital monitor that tracks your speed, distance, time, pulse rate, and calories burned.
- The 2.20-Peak HP drive system provides speeds of 0.5 - 9 MPH along with 3 manual options for adjusting incline levels (0%, 2%, 4.37%)
- Designed for a max user weight of 220 lb. with 49L x 15.5W inches of running surface
- Easy folding mechanism and the soft drop system helps you unfold your treadmill safely and hands free. The sleek modern design has built-in speakers and AUX cable port to connect and play music during your workout.
- Handrail controls allow you to control speed, start and stop. Pause function - Press the stop button once to stop the belt and pause your run while keeping your current data and running stats intact
- 9 Built-in workout programs with large LCD displays time, distance, speed, calories burned and pulse. Convenient, smart phone/tablet holder is included to fit different devices
WalkingPad C1 Foldable Treadmill for Walking
WalkingPad C1 Foldable Treadmill includes free installation, high-tech sports mode, and 180 degrees folding. It is unique, easy to move, quick response variable speed, and will fit anywhere, under the bed or sofa. WalkingPad C1 is super intelligent and arrives with 3 service speed limits, child lock function, standby mode, and overload protection.
- 【Foldable Design】The WalkingPad can be folded in halfway. Through the 2 rollers at the bottom, it can be moved smoothly in /out to/from the limited space under the desk, sofa or bed, etc.
- 【FOLDABLE PATENT】The Folding Minimalist treadmill won the 2019 International Award - Red Dot Design Award and iF DEAIGN AWARD. With a minimum height of only 2.2 inch, length of only 32.3 inch. With convenient transportation wheels to move around without hassle. You could store it in your living room, study, sofa, a small corner or under the bed.
- 【Intelligent Speed Control】The running speed is controlled by the human motion trajectory. You can control the speed as needed, restore the state of your outdoor sports.
- 【Walking & Working】Walkingpad Walking Machine is designed with a tabletop, which has large surface area of 42.2" x 16.4". You can focus on your work or entertainment while doing exercise.
- 【Solid Construction】Frames are made of hight quality steel,this walking machine has 220Lbs weight capacity, two walking boards provides you more comfortable and more sturdy workout experience.
REDLIRO Under Desk Treadmill
REDLIRO Under Desk Treadmill for walking and running is the perfect home and office cardio trainer. It is powered by electricity and boasts 12 preset training modes, adjustable speeds, 200 lbs max user weight, 2.25 HP motor, remote control, display screen, 0.5 – 7.5 mph speed, and a 5-layer non-slip shock-absorbing running belt.
- Folding Treadmills Has 2 Main Modes - When the electric flat treadmill riser is folded, it becomes an under-the-desk treadmill with a maximum speed of the running belt of 4MPH, you can easily walk under the desk while working. When the treadmills is risen, it becomes a normal treadmill with a maximum speed of 7.5 MPH, you can run as normal. Whether you want to walk slowly or run fast, it will satisfy you.
- Extra remote control - Easy operation with double control, you can control the slim treadmill speed or stop the treadmill by pressing the dashboard or remote control. The built in safety key is to ensure instant shut-off under emergency situation.
- Shock Absorption Running Belt & Quiet Motor - 5-layer non-slip and shock-absorbing running belt, providing an effective and safe cushion for your knees and muscles for a superior running experience. The jogging machine base has a high-quality, ultra quiet 2.25HP Motor that lets you walk and work without disturbing others.
- Led Display & Entertainment Bracket - Multi-functional Led display, easy to read with all the necessary information: it can track your workout Time, Speed, Calories burned and Distance. The tablet phone bracket allows you to enjoy exercising and entertainment at the same time,you can watch movies or listen to music when you work out on this walking machines.
- No Assemble & Space Saver - This 2-in-1 compact treadmill is fully assembled and ready to use after unpacking. The foldable design and transport wheels make it easy to move, and very suitable for home or office use. Rugged steel frame for durability; supports max user weight 220 pounds.