Last Updated on January 13, 2023 by admin
Leg extensions are weight training that targets the leg muscles called the quadricep, which includes the rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus intermedius, and vastus medialis. Usually, the leg extensions require a machine called the leg extension machine, which is available in all workout rooms, gyms, sports rooms, and physical therapy clinics.
This exercise specifically targets the quads. If you want to build a pair of legs to impress the world, add some leg extension exercises to your daily workout sessions. This exercise also helps in defining muscles and building lower body strength.
Some Popular Leg Extensions
Bodyweight leg extensions
Bodyweight leg extensions are crucial for muscle strength and knee health. It requires no equipment other than your body weight and is elevated by gravity. To perform an injury-free bodyweight leg extension; kneel on the floor with your neck neutral and your back straight. Make sure your knees are at 90 degrees with the floor. Tighten your core, pre-tense your knees and squeeze your quads. Your body should be in a straight line. Stretch your back straight until you reach your body extension limit. Stay in this position for a second and then return to the standing position without slouching or using any hand support. Do as many repetitions as you can.
Standing leg extensions
Standing leg extensions requires a resistance band or a cable with one end around your ankle, and the other attached to a sturdy object. Stand close to the thing, leaving zero tension in the band. Stand to relax with your feet apart, and keep your arms and back straight. Now place your hands on your hips for balance and contract your core while pulling your shoulders back. Lift your foot off the floor and extend your knee fully out. Breathe for a minute and return your leg to its original position. Do as many repetitions as possible.
Squats help build muscle and core strength, defining hips, legs, thighs, and back. Learning to do a proper squat can only make the most out of this compound exercise. Stand with your feet hip-width apart, chest open and tall, spine neutral, and shoulders back and down before initiating the exercise movement. Now send back your hips, like you are sitting in a chair with your chest lifted. When you reach your knee length, push your toes back to the starting position. Try to bring your thighs parallel to the floor while squatting—repeat as many sets as possible without tiring.
Reverse lunges help in activating your core, hamstrings, and glutes. To perfume, a reverse lunge, stand straight with your hands on your hips. Take a giant step in the reverse direction with your left foot. Lower your hip till your right thigh is parallel to the floor with your right knee positioned directly over your ankle. Return to the original position by pressing your right heel to the floor—repeat, and alternate between the legs for better results.
Benefits of Leg Extensions
One of the benefits of the leg extension exercise is that it is often used as a warming-up exercise. Not only does it helps in preparing your knees for complex workouts but it also makes your thighs and legs flexible. This exercise focuses on the quads and strengthens the knee muscles, which helps ton the legs.
If the angles are incorrect, the chances of getting a knee injury exponentially increase. It can damage cartilage and connective tissues and cause hyperextension of the kneecap. Keeping the backrest at 90 degrees and using smaller and lighter wrights can eliminate the risk of getting a knee injury during leg extension exercises.
- 3 pairs of dumbbells in 3-pound, 5-pound, and 8-pound sizes. Ideal for resistance and other trainings
- The durable, neoprene material coated cast iron is great for indoor and outdoor workouts
- Neoprene coating on weights allow for a secure grip. The Hex shape of the dumbbells prevents them from rolling
- Great For Beginners: If You Are Just Beginning Your Fitness Journey, This Is An Excellent Place To Start. The Versatile...
- Multi-Use Fitness Equipment: Target Legs, Chest, And Arms With This Incredible Workout Bench. Butterfly Extensions Are...
- Safety Features: With The 2 Safety Hooks, You Can Securely Lock Weights Into Position. This Prevents Accidents And Keeps...
- All-in-one Adjustable Weight Bench: designed for full body workouts to shape your arm, abs, back, chest, glutes,...
- Lift with Confidence: Our Strength training benches and fitness equipment are made with high grade steel to stand up to...
- Comfortable and Sturdy - Home Gym Equipment adjustable bench designed with triangular base support and 3 inch thick...
- SET INCLUDES – A pair of 5-pound, 10-pound, 15-pound, 20-pound, and 25-pound rubber hex dumbbells with a black A-frame...
- SPACE-SAVING DESIGN – The A-frame design of this rack maximizes floor space by storing dumbbells in an “A” shape,...
- DURABLE AND RELIABLE – Rack is made with steel and finished with durable black powder coat. Heads are made from ASTM...
- 【Professional】More than 20 years of professional fitness equipment production experience, carefully designed by...
- 【High Quality Thick Steel】The frame and weight guards of the whole set of equipment are made of thick steel. Don't...
- 【New design】 Leg exercise pedal can exercise more leg muscle groups, more functions than the same type of fitness...
- Chest workouts
- Best elliptical machines for home
- Best arm workouts
- Best bicep workouts
- Best back workouts
- Best ab workouts
- Best shoulder workouts
- Best leg workouts
- HIIT workouts
- NordicTrack treadmill
- Best 90lb adjustable dumbbells
- Best dip bars for home
- Best 25 lb adjustable dumbbells
- Hamstring exercises