Last Updated on January 19, 2023 by admin
Are you looking to get strong and toned while improving your core strength? Look no further than Pilates. This low-impact form of exercise has been helping people build muscles and stay fit for hundreds of years. It’s especially beneficial for those who suffer from joint pain or past injuries, as it works the body through gentle repetitions that focus on building more stability.
Whether you’re a beginner in Pilates or need fresh ideas on incorporating this time-tested workout into your routine, we have all the information and moves you need to start today.
Keep reading our ultimate guide on Pilates for Beginners and learn everything from postures and breathwork to effective ways to do traditional Pilates exercises for better muscle tone, stronger abs, and increased agility – plus much more.
What are the benefits of Pilates exercises?
Pilates offers many incredible benefits to everyone, regardless of age or fitness level. It is a great way to get fit and develop tone and strength throughout the body, especially in the core. All you need is a comfortable mat, and you are ready to go.
Pilates exercises lend themselves beautifully to ab workout routines, as they can target very specific muscles, such as those around the spine or buttocks. Not only that, but Pilates also strengthens one leg muscle at a time for an even workout.
Read Up: Best Leg Exercises, Upgrade Leg Day With These 10 Moves
Read Up: 12 Best Shoulder Exercises & Workouts for Men
There are some easy pilates moves that anybody can start with – plus, there are multiple variations to each move so that you can find something tailored to your needs. You don’t have to master all of them either – taking it easy pilates style by simply engaging your core with any moves that fit your lifestyle will do wonders for your well-being. Give Pilates a shot and unlock some great core exercises today.
Best Pilates Moves for Beginners
1. Kneeling Arm and Leg Reach
Kneeling Arm and Leg Reach is one of the best Pilates moves for abs and toning. To perform the Kneeling Arm and Leg Reach, begin by lying on your back with arms outstretched. Extend your left leg straight to the ceiling on your exhale, then bring your right leg towards your chest.
As you inhale, reach up to grasp your extended right leg with both hands, then raise it further away from your body. Hold this position as you continue to focus on deep breathing while maintaining a strong core throughout the move.
On the exhale, reach out with both hands as if you were trying to push something away from you gently. Bend your knees right towards your chest again before repeating the Kneeling Arm and Leg Reach with your left side, then raise both legs together. Kneeling Arm and Leg Reach is an incredibly effective move that can help strengthen and tone the whole body while building core strength and balance.
2. Rolling Like a Ball
Rolling Like a Ball is an empowering Pilates move perfect for abdominal toning and strengthening that requires both strength and breath. To perform Rolling Like a Ball, start off in a seated tabletop position with arms overhead and feet flat on the floor.
As you take in a deep breath, allow your body to move forward as you lift your head and then return to the starting position when the breath is released. Aim to stretch farther with each exhale as this increases core engagement which will help sculpt those abs and tone dem muscles. Rolling Like a Ball is essential for total-body strength, so get rolling and shine like a diamond.
3. Single-Leg Circles
Single-Leg Circles are one of the most effective Pilates moves for targeting your core muscles and toning your abs. Starting from a supine (lying down) position, lift both legs to create the Single-Leg Circle. With an exhale for five, extend your right leg toward the sky. Then with a gentle but powerful circular motion, circle your right leg in one direction five times.
Make sure you keep control and balance in your posture as you move, and control your breathing pattern as well. As you reach the end of each single-leg circle, switch directions and complete five more circles going in the opposite direction. Single-Leg Circles are great for a full-body workout that specifically targets core strengthening and toning of abdominal muscles.
4. The Pilates 100
The Pilates 100 is an amazing beginner pilates workout for those looking to work on their core and sculpt their abs. The move itself consists of lying on the floor with your back flat, feet together, pointing up towards the ceiling. With a slight bend in your knees, you will then raise them up off the floor as you take your right elbow and place it straight in front of you.
Read Up: 4 Best Ab Workouts At Home [No Equipment]
From there, lift your left leg away from the ground while simultaneously curling your shoulders off the mat at a slight angle. The movement should be done slowly, with control and precision – perfect for anyone starting Pilates! Do The Pilates 100 once or twice a day, and you’ll have beautifully slimmed-down results in no time.
5. Mountain Climbers
Mountain Climbers is an amazing Pilates move for strengthening and toning your abs. This move targets all the core muscles, from the abdominals to your obliques, and strengthens your upper back muscles for great posture. Mountain Climbers can be done by getting into a plank position, then bending one knee into the chest while keeping the other leg straight.
After this step, repeat quickly on the opposite and then on the opposite side until you get the desired amount of reps. Mountain Climbers will test the abs while also significantly engaging your back muscles at the same time. Mountain Climbing strengthens your core in general since these muscles are responsible for stabilizing and maintaining balance in daily activity. Mountain Climbers are definitely worth a try if you want to build strength and tone ab sculpting!
6. Back Extensions
Back Extensions are an amazing move to tone your core, and they can be easily practiced with just your body weight and a mat. Once you lay down on the floor and place your left leg bent while keeping your right leg straight, you begin by lifting both legs off the ground in a tabletop position and pushing back with your hips.
You will gradually shift your body weight until you feel a good stretch all the way from above your hips down to those pesky lower abs -all in one cool Pilates core exercise! With each repetition of Back Extensions, you repeat 10 times, and you can bring those rock-hard abs into sight.
7. Lying Leg Extensions
Lying Leg Extensions is the perfect Pilates move for toning and sculpting your ABS. Start by laying down on your stomach, with your knees bent and feet flat against the floor. Then, lift your legs up off the ground and hold them in the air for several seconds at a time. This will serve as a core workout that strengthens and tones your abdominal muscles.
Lying Leg Extensions is one of the best things you can do to increase muscle definition in your lower body without hitting the gym daily. To finish off the exercise, extend your legs until they are fully stretched out and rest back with your legs slightly bent.
Reach your arms over yourself to complete one Lying Leg Extension rep. This simple move is an excellent way to get definition not only in the abdominals but also in the thighs, calves, and other areas!
7 Best Pilates Equipment
- ➽ALL-ROUND: The 9 inch exercise ball is one of the essential Exercise Ball Accessories. This bender ball is a pilates...
- ➽PROFESSIONAL DESIGN AND HIGH QUALITY: Small pilates ball is made from soft low-odor flexible. Small exercise ball for...
- ➽EASY TO INFLATE AND STORE: Barre ball 9 inch can be easily inflated with the tube included and only a few breaths...
- ★【High Quality 】- The connecting point where the ends of bands is attached to carabiner by the Nylon fabric,not...
- ★【Customized Pilates Bar Kit】- Our Pilates exercise stick comes with 3-section steel rod with quite soft and...
- ★【All in 1】- The workout equipment could help shape body,training muscles,etc.You can put these 2 kinds of...
- TONE AND FIRM UP THOSE STUBBORN AREAS focusing on your INNER AND OUTER THIGHS, core, upper arms, hips, and legs. Add...
- GET FIT AND STRONG using this Pilate equipment for home workouts. Exercise circles improve your muscle tone and fitness...
- PERFECT YOUR POSTURE with our Pilates magic circle workout which improves muscular strength, balance and posture. Find...
- High-density foam roller with molded edges
- Ideal for balance, strengthening, flexibility, and rehab exercises
- Made from molded polypropylene to maintain firmness
- LIGHTWEIGHT & THICK YOGA MAT: These durable, yet lightweight exercise yoga mats are extra thick for the additional...
- STICKY NON SLIP TEXTURE: Yoga mat features a textured sticky non slip surface for excellent traction and superior grip...
- NON TOXIC & 6P FREE PVC yoga mat is a healthier choice for you and the planet and free of DEHP, DBP, BBP, DINP, DIDP and...
- 【Store Various Exercise Equipment】The fitness equipment storage rack combines yoga storage basket, home gym...
- 【Modern Style Yoga Mat Holder】The combination of different materials and the collision of different colors style...
- 【High-quality Materials】Basket uses better polyester fabric than non-woven fabric. Even if holding 6 thick yoga...
- ✅ 『 NO MORE GUESS WORK 』Eliminate the struggle to find Workouts Online. Our Fitness Deck includes all you need to...
- ✅ 『 CUSTOMIZE YOUR WORKOUT 』Never get bored rather tweak your exercise routine with the ease of designing your own...
- ✅ 『 LARGE, CLEAR & WATERPROOF 』The Yoga Bar Work out cards: 12x8 cm are 2x the size of regular playing cards & are...
Pilates for Beginners is an effective and safe form of physical activity that can help improve muscular strength, flexibility, balance, and overall physical fitness. It was developed as a system of exercises to strengthen the abdominal muscles and tone and elongate them. This type of exercise is especially beneficial for those who wish to target core strength or tone their torso.
Furthermore, Pilates for Beginners is an efficient way to obtain a full body workout quickly with little equipment necessary. Traditional moves such as the Hundred Exercise and the Roll Up can help strengthen your abs quickly while having fun.