Last Updated on August 31, 2021 by admin
New Olympic sports, explained: Karate, surfing, skateboarding, sport climbing make debuts at 2021 Games.
On June 1, 2016, the International Olympic Committee made the decision to add new sports to the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. It approved the addition of five sports — baseball/softball, karate, skateboarding, sport climbing, and surfing — that would add 18 new events and 474 athletes to the Summer Games.
The IOC called the move “the most comprehensive evolution” in the history of the Olympics. They also explained why the governing body decided to ratify the changes in a “press release”
The five sports offer a key focus on youth, which is at the heart of the Games vision for Tokyo 2020. They represent a combination of well-established and emerging sports with significant popularity in Japan and beyond. They include team sports and individual sports; indoor sports and outdoor sports; and ‘urban’ sports with a strong appeal to youth.
Certainly, there is some buzz and excitement about these new additions. Maybe not as much as breakdancing, which will debut at the 2024 Paris Olympics, but there is still plenty of intrigue among fans of the Olympics.
We’ve seen baseball and softball at the Olympics before (most recently in 2008), so we know what to expect there. But what can viewers expect from the other four new sports? Here’s an in-depth look at the Olympics’ four newest competitions.
How many sports are in the Olympics?
There are 33 sports and 46 disciplines in the official 2021 Olympic program. That includes 339 total medal events.
Olympic Karate will consist of two competitions: Kumite and Kata.
Kumite translates literally to “grappling hands” and features two opponents squaring off in one-on-one combat. Colloquially, it may be referred to as “sparring.”
At the Olympics, there will be six gold medals offered. There will be three winners in the men’s divisions and three in the women’s divisions. The competitors will be separated by weight classes, which are as follows:
- Less than 67 kg (147.7 pounds)
- Less than 75 kg (165.3 pounds)
- Greater than 75 kg (165.3 pounds)
- Less than 55 kg (121.3 pounds)
- Less than 61 kg (134.5 pounds)
- Greater than 61 kg (134.5 pounds)
There are a few different ways to earn points in the competition, and players can be awarded one, two, or three points for proper striking technique. A three-point strike comes when a participant his the head or neck of an opponent with a kick or if a technique is used against a fallen adversary. A two-point shot involves landing a kick to the side, back, belly, or torso of the opponent. A one-point strike comes for delivering a close-handed punch or strikes to the opponent’s head, neck, belly, side, back, or torso.
Read for more information on 2021 best home gym equipment
Players must also be controlled while striking their adversary. They will be warned if they hurt their opponent or hit them too hard. Strikes below the belt are forbidden.
As for the Kata competition that is based on a demonstration of offensive and defensive techniques against a virtual opponent. Players earn points from judges based on their power and form. There are 102 katas recognized by the World Karate Federation, so competitors must choose to perform one of those routines for the Olympic judges.
Skateboarding will debut as one of the most diverse sports in the 2021 Olympic field. There is a 46-year-old competitor, Denmark’s Rune Glifberg, and a 12-year-old competitor, Britain’s Sky Brown.
There are two types of skateboarding events at the 2021 Olympics: park and street. The park competition will take place on a bowl-like course that features a lot of twists and turns. The bowl’s sides are steep at the top and skaters will look to send themselves high in the air to perform twists, spins, and other tricks before landing back in the bowl without falling.
Meanwhile, the street competition will feature straighter, flatter courses with stairs, rails, and curbs available to use. Skateboarders in this competition will look to get a little air to allow them to ride and grind along the curbs, rails, and other obstacles.
How is Olympic skateboarding scored? According to Olympics.com, it will be judged on a 0-100 point scale.
In each round, the skater’s best of three 45-second runs count as their final round score. Five judges use a 0-100.00 point scale. The highest and lowest scores for each run are dropped, and the remaining three scores are averaged to two decimal places resulting in the final run score.
This gives the Olympians some room for error.
Of all the new Olympic sports, surfing may be the most difficult one. Why? Because the conditions for the event will rely on the weather, including the wind and tides, at any time.
There are two major types of surfing competitions. Some use longboard while other use shortboards. For the Tokyo Games, shortboards will be used.
The competition will feature 20 men and 20 women battling for gold medals. The early rounds feature four- or five-person heats while the main round will feature head-to-head battles where the loser is eliminated. Surfers can ride a maximum of 25 waves during heats that are typically 30 minutes, depending on the conditions.
Scoring in surfing is subjective. Five judges will grade each ride focusing on the degree of difficulty, execution of moves by the surfer, speed, variety, and more. Surfers cannot ride the same wave. The “right of way” for each wave is determined by which athlete is closest to the peak of the wave or whichever athlete has the highest priority in the running order.
OK, I know what you’re thinking. What the heck is sport climbing and how is it different than normal climbing?
Sport climbing is a form of rock climbing in which competitors are attached to permanent anchors for protection. In other words, they’re supported by something, usually a rope, in case they fall or slip off the structure they’re scaling.
At the Tokyo Olympics, there will be three forms of sport climbing competitions. They’re known as lead climbing, bouldering, and speed climbing.
Speed climbing is self-explanatory. Athletes try to scale an object as quickly as possible without suffering any falls.
In lead climbing, athletes must scale as much of a 15-meter (49.2-feet) wall as they can in a fixed amount of time. The wall will also be at an overhang of 6 meters (19.7 feet).
In bouldering, the goal is for athletes to overcome the most obstacles or problems on their routes. They are judged based on the number of problems overcome on 4.5 meter-high (14.8 feet) structures in a set period of time.
As straightforward as each of the three forms of competition are, it’s not easy for an athlete to excel in all three disciplines. British climber Shauna Coxsey had an amusing answer when asked about doing well in all three areas.
“It’s a bit like asking Usain Bolt to run a marathon and then do the hurdles,” Coxsey explained to the Olympics News. “No one has really transitioned before. No boulderer has transitioned to speed and lead, and no speed climber has done it to bouldering and lead.”
Soon enough we’ll see if any Olympian can do all three effectively to take home a medal in each category.
This article was originally posted on SportingNews
Most Popular Products
- The Criterion Collection (Actor)
- VARIOUS INCLUDING: (Director)
- Audience Rating: NR (Not Rated)
- Durable Quality：These American Flag Windsocks are crafted with Durable 210D Nylon Material and sewn edges with a hoop built-in at top to maintain the full shape.The patriotic Flags Windsock are machine washable ,it with UV ray and Water Resistant to keeps them resilient and beautiful throughout the entirety of its useful life. long lasting sharp, Vivid Colors and Dries quickly .Enjoy year-round patriotic windsock.
- Size: 2 Pack 40 Inch American Flag Windsocks, Secured with solid Streamers and swivel clip.. It is easy to pack and carry.Represent your pride in America by flying the windsock patriotic in your garden !
- Densely Embroidered -Vivid color filled with Densely Embroidered White stars. Secured with solid Streamers and swivel clip.It will be displayed proudly no matter how the user hangs the Windsock.
- Simple Installment- The Flag Windsocks can easily be hung from just about anywhere by swivel clip to fixed From Being Torn Apart Guaranteed to Fly For A Long Time, No pole or extra brackets required. The Flag Windsocks will be displayed for everybody who walks by.
- For Around Yard：Fly these windsocks in the yard for appearance and to tell the wind direction.Would be great flying in a different location.
- Colorful stripped sweatband set: package includes 2 pieces stripped sport headbands, 4 pieces stripped wristbands, fashion popular sweatbands set, very stylish for a good look
- Material: soft and good absorbent for comfort; Lightweight and durable, maintains shape for long-term wearing
- Sweat-absorbent: sport headbands wristbands sweatbands are snug soft, breathable and moisture-wicking, which keep sweat out of your wrist, give you a comfortable sporting feeling
- Elastic sweatbands size: the normal size of headband is 7.67 x 2.16 inch, and the wristband is 3.54 x 3.15 inch (L x W), with good elasticity fit most kids, teens as well as adults' heads and wrists
- Suitable for sports: sports headband and wristband can be applied in gym, fit for wearing in basketball, soccer, tennis, workout, running, walking, yoga, cycling, badminton, baseball, table tennis and any other physical activities
- 【UNIQUE MEDAL DESIGN】: each medal has two side with different design, the one side of the gold medal is 1, silver medal is 2, and bronze medal is 3, other side of them is blank, the ribbon color is red, white and blue
- 【METAL WINNER MEDALS】: these medals are made of good quality zinc alloy material, can be preserved for a long time, and has a good collection commemorative significance
- 【GOOD ENCOURAGEMENT】: It’s a good gift for children, the metal medals can be applied as good encouragement and praise, which is suitable for competition, game, party and so on
- 【SUITABLE SIZE】: medals measure approx. 5 cm/ 2 inch in diameter; The red, white, and blue neck ribbon measures approx. 39 cm/ 15.6 inch in length, right length is easy to wear
- 【WHAT YOU GET】: includes 3 kinds of medals, gold medal, silver medal, bronze medal, each styles has 4 pieces, total 12 pieces; Each pieces is equipped with a ribbon
- Packet Include: 24 Gold medals
- Material: Plastic. Medals for all occasions.
- Size: ribbon length approx 28 cm; Winner diameter approx 3.5 cm
- Gold medal on a long fabric neck cord with a click on clasp
- Ideal For Party Loot Bag Fillers, Favours, Sports Day Medals, Pinatas and Rewards
- Fitted fit
- Breathable, soft and stretchy feel
- Perfect Size,1:1 Replica ,heavy weight and size. 3D design and extremely realistic!
- The medal is approximately 85 mm in diameter and weighs about 315g with ribbon. Novelty replica item. Perfect as a gift for an Olympics fan!
- Sports is an international language. People can communicate freely without even having to translate or explain. It has made its own contribution to world peace. The Olympic Games carries the spiritual connotations of friendship and unity, peace and fairness, care and respect, and so on. The Olympics is synonymous with sportsmanship and a symbol of modern social civilization.
- Olympic medals are the respect and affirmation of athletes. They are rewards given by the people of the world to never stop breaking through themselves. It is also the unremitting pursuit of mankind to break through the limits.
- The sport short features a diagonal yoke seam with applied stripes and a bottom hem ﬂounce.
- An Adidas brand mark heat transfer placed at left front hem
- International Flag Tablecover rectangular Size is 54-Inch by 108-Inch
- 23 Foot Pennant Banner. with large 8x11 inch flags. This is a great banner made of all weather material that can be used indoors and outdoors. There are 20 different flags on this banner representing 20 different countries
- International Flag Toothpicks - 50 Each pick measures 2.5 inches tall. These flag picks represent countries from around the world. They are a nice touch for use with finger foods at your International Theme party. Package contains an assortment of USA, UK, France, Greece, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Italy flags
- Perfect for setting the party theme for international events
- Quiz each other on Countries of the World trivia with fun trivia questions! Perfect for setting the party theme for international games